Frequently Asked Questions

//Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How old do I have to be to join CSRIPS?

A: You must be at least 18 years old to apply for the Firefighter I&II program. You do not need to be 18 years old for the EMT program as long as you have parental consent and have a high school diploma or the equivalent.

Q: Do I need to be a High School graduate?

A: You must have at least a high school diploma or GED.  A diploma from college is also acceptable.  For those entering the Firefigher I&II program, diplomas from schools in other countries are not accepted unless approved by the Bureau of Fire Standards.  Contact their office at 352-369-2800.

Q: What if I have been home schooled?

A: For individuals who have completed a home school program, we need documentation that the education program has met the requirements of Section 1002.41. F.S., of the Department of Education from the state where the home school program was completed.

Q: What if I do not have a Social Security card, can I still apply?

A: Your SSN is required for all 3 programs in order to complete the required background checks.

Q: I have a green card, can I apply?

A: Yes.

Q: Do I have to take Fire class before EMT? Or, EMT before Firefighter I&II?

A: No. At this time it is not required for you to be certified in Firefighter I&II before taking EMT. The Bureau of Fire Standards requires that all students be First Responder, EMT or Medic certified in order to take the State test at the end of the Fire program. Please call our office for more information.

Q: Can I take both classes at once?

A: There are some requirements to allow a student to be able to do this.  Please review the Program Catalog and Student Reference Guide for more information.

Q: Am I guaranteed a job after graduation?

A: It is your responsibility to investigate the job market. South Florida is very competitive. You increase your chances of finding a position if you are a certified EMT, Paramedic and Firefighter.

Q: I am moving here from another state and was a firefighter there, do I need to go to school here again?

A: You may contact the Bureau of Fire Standards at 352-369-2800 and discuss this with them. However, most people do need to re-certify in Florida.

Q: Can I make payments? Do you take cash?

A: For Firefighter I&II and EMT-Basic, full payment will be due prior to class beginning.  For the Paramedic program, you have the option of a full payment or 4 payment plan.  Please refer to the class information for specific deadlines for monies and applications. WE DO NOT ACCEPT CASH. Acceptable forms of payment are VISA, MasterCard, Florida Prepaid, Florida 529, Sallie Mae and VA Benefits.  We will also accept cashier’s check and money order.

Q: Can I use Chapter 30 or Chapter 33 benefits here?

A: Yes! You may use Chapter 30 and Chapter 33. Please contact our office for more information. You may also contact the VA for further clarification.

Q: Is there financial aid? Do you take Florida Prepaid?

A: Yes, we do accept Florida Prepaid.  We do not offer financial aid such as grants or loans.

We accept payments on the students’ behalf from scholarship funds. The checks would need to be made out to the Coral Springs Fire Department. Payment due dates are listed under class information. We urge you to call us for more information. If you are a veteran, we are VA approved for benefits Chapter 30.

Q: Can I get college credits for these courses and are they transferable?

A: We do not assign credits to our courses.  We do offer transcripts for our accredited courses for a fee. Other schools may assign credits to our courses, but you must check with that school.

CSRIPS does have a partnership with Broward College to offer credits towards an Associates or Bachelors degree.  You must contact Broward College for further information.  Please call Debra Hart at 954-201-241.

Q: What if I have a DUI from years ago?

A: You would need to contact The Bureau of Fire Standards for an answer to this question. 352-369-2800.

Q: I had a physical recently, can I submit this with my application?

A: You must use the forms that are part of our application. Medicals for Fire are only valid for a six month period. This application must be completed by a physician, surgeon, or physician’s assistant per ch. 459; or an advanced registered nurse practitioner per ch. 464. Information is on the application. Medicals for EMS are valid for one year. Please refer to the applications tab.