Veterans Resource Center

Family Members

Post 9/11 GI Bill® – Chapter 33

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® allows service members (officer or enlisted, Active Duty or Selected Reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children).  The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. Because of the potential impact of this benefit on recruiting and retention, transferability policy is determined by the Department of Defense (DOD) and the military services. The service member must submit the application online through the milConnect website.

Fry Scholarship – Chapter 33

The Fry Scholarship is an education benefit for children and spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001.  Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive full tuition & fees paid directly to the school for all public school in-state students, a monthly housing allowance and a books and supplies stipend.

Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA)  – Chapter 35

DEA is an education benefit for eligible spouses and dependents.  To be eligible, you must be the dependent of one of the following:

  • A veteran who died, or is permanently and totally disabled, as the result of a service-connected disability.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A service member missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A service member hospitalized or receiving outpatient care for a VA determine service-connected permanent and total disability may be eligible for DEA benefits.

Florida Department of Veteran’s Affairs Scholarships

Florida provides scholarship opportunities for dependent children and spouses of veterans who died from a service-connected disability or who are 100 percent service-connected permanent and total disabled veterans through the Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans program.  Visit or call toll free (888) 827-2004 for more information.

Steps to Apply:

  1. Complete the application for your program.
  2. Identify your VA Educational Benefit Chapter.
  3. Apply for VA Educational Benefits via your Account and complete the VA Form 22-1990e, 22-1995, 22-5490 or 22-5495.
    1. Provide CSRIPS with a copy of your application with confirmation number.
    2. Spouses and Dependents must also provide a copy of your Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) to CSRIPS.
    3. Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) upon receipt.
  4. Set up a VA file with the school’s Military and Veterans Resource Center (MVRC) and certify your classes.

If you are using Chapter 33 benefits that were transferred to you, provide the approved Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) and Transfer of Entitlement (TOE), VA Form 22-1990e, showing you have applied for benefits.  Once the award letter or Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is received, provide a copy to the MVRC for your file.  The cashier will be notified to complete the financial refund, if applicable.