Veterans Resource Center

What Chapter Am I?

As a Veteran, you may be eligible for several types of VA education and training benefits.

Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (Chapter 30) – If you are currently in service, you may be eligible after two years of active duty.  If separated from service, you may be an eligible veteran if:

  • entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985
  • received a high school diploma or equivalent before the end of your first obligated period of service
  • received an honorable discharge
  • continuously served for three years or two years if that is what you first enlisted for or two years if you have an obligation to serve four years in the Selected Reserve AND entered Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) – Eligible individuals include those who serve on Active Duty at least 90 aggregate days after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days of continuous service. (Individuals must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible).  To be eligible for 100% of the benefit, veteran must have served an aggregate of 36 months of continuous service after September 10, 2001.

The Dependents Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35) – The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) – The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) provides Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level.