BECOMING A FLORIDA FIREFIGHTER
Deciding to enroll at the Coral Springs Regional Institute of Public Safety to pursue your dream of becoming a Firefighter/EMT/Paramedic in the State of Florida is a huge step. It can be an overwhelming journey if not planned out properly. To help you succeed we will provide information on a career path that may work best for you.
We offer all the required courses that you will need in order to become a successful candidate for a position as a Firefighter in Florida. Most agencies located in the South East (Broward, Dade & Palm Beach) will require candidates to be Firefighter/Paramedic certified as a minimum however other regions will hire Firefighter/EMT’s or just Firefighters.
This means that you will need to complete EMT, Paramedic and Firefighter I&II and become State certified in all three courses. This can be accomplished at CSRIPS. Now you need to decide whether to start with the medical courses, EMT and then Paramedic, or the Fire course, Firefighter I& II. The information we provide can help you determine which will be best for you. Please review each course to assist with making the best decision for you to be successful, remember this process can take up to two (2) years to complete.
The purpose of the Firefighter I & II course is to educate, prepare, and provide an opportunity for you to become skilled in firefighting techniques. By successfully completing all seventeen performance objectives of the program, students will be prepared to take the State of Florida Firefighter I & II examination.
- Physical Ability Test (PAT). The PAT is a mandatory entry requirement of Firefighter I & II and is NOT included in the Firefighter I & II registration. There are at least 4 PAT’s offered during the academic year. PAT registration periods are open all year round and are not term specific meaning you can complete at PAT without registering for a Firefighter I & II class. The PAT is valid for 1 year from the date of successful completion. Please click here to register for an upcoming PAT.
If you have not previously completed a PAT you will need to register for the PAT while registering for a Firefighter I & II class.
- Paramedic, EMT or EMR (Emergency Medical Responder)
- Please read this carefully. You will need to upload a copy of your Paramedic or EMT license or your Certificate of Completion for EMT. If you have completed EMT and have your Certificate of Completion, you may challenge the EMR exam. If you have not attended EMT you will need to complete the one day EMR class (click here to register). A copy of the EMR Certificate of Completion will need to be uploaded once you complete the class.
- The following two (2) classes must be completed and certificates uploaded prior to beginning of class (and can be done after registration). If not completed you will be removed from the program. Please note you will not be able to go back and print the certificates later. Notice: Independent Study Exams now require a FEMA Student Identification (SID) Number. If you do not yet have a SID, register for one today: https://cdp.dhs.gov/femasid. These courses are free.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: You will be asked to upload copies of the following documentation during the application process. Please have all information on hand! Incomplete applications will be denied.
- FCDICE Number (click here for instructions)
- Medical Examination (Click here for form. Student MUST utilize this form and have it signed by a Florida physician. Medical form is valid for 6 months and must be valid on Day 1 of class.)
- Tobacco Affidavit (Click here for the form. It must be notarized.)
- EMT license (See above for specific instructions.)
- Florida Driver’s License (Student must be 18 years old to take the State test for Certification. A birth certificate is acceptable if you do not have a Driver’s License.)
- Diploma (High School, College, Transcript, GED are all acceptable.)
- Military Veterans (if applicable)
- Copy of VA DD214 (Page 4 only)
- Copy of VA Certificate of Eligibility
- Copy of VA Transcript
- Copy of Form 1990 or 1995
- Student Enrollment Agreement (completed after the application and MUST be accepted to complete the registration process)
Background Check – Upon being accepted into the program you will receive detailed information on how to complete this step. * Entrance PAT Certificate of Completion from CSRIPS. Please see above for specific details in regards to the Entrance PAT. * Individuals who have been arrested or convicted for any crime are strongly urged to inquire directly of the licensing board in the jurisdiction in which they intend to practice.
Are you READY?
Please be sure to read through the Firefighter I & II program listed here and also within the Program Catalog and Student Reference Guide. You will find upcoming registration dates below.
CLASS SCHEDULES: To help you succeed we offer 3 different class schedules that can hopefully work with your personal life.
Full Time Day Class
- Approximately 13 weeks
- 5 days a week. Monday-Friday
- 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.(days can go longer based on objectives for the day)
This class is fast paced and intended for people that are strong mentally with homework, daily quizzes and weekly tests. Dedicating your evenings and weekends to homework and studying is a must. Being physically fit and training to be a firefighter are 2 totally different requirements, students that are limited by strength, endurance and cardiovascular output will have a difficult time passing this course due to the pace and let’s not forget the heat!
Part Time Class - 3x a week
- Approximately 29 weeks
- Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Saturday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
This schedule may work better for those with a FT job or family commitments or those who do not want to rush through the curriculum. It will take twice as long as the day class; however, it may a pace that better suits your needs based on your educational and physical status. Don’t let this schedule fool you; your extra-curricular activities will be limited as the demands to complete this course are extreme.
Part Time Accelerated Class - 4x a week
- Approximately 21 weeks
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings from 5:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Saturday from 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
The pace of this course is demanding yet has some room to breathe on off nights allowing you to recuperate and prepare for the next class. This class requires the same commitment as the fulltime day class and is as demanding due to the schedule. Perfect for someone that works PT during the week. You will need to determine which class will best suit your needs. Getting through the class as fast as you can does not get you a job any quicker. Part of the hiring process understands the material inside and out. If you can’t absorb the material and do just enough to get by, that will not work well for you during the written tests at hiring.
TUITION & FEES
Here is what you should expect to spend for the Firefighter I & II program.
- Application Fee: $130.00
- Tuition: $2390.00
- Entrance PAT: $60.00 (separate registration)
- Additional shirt: $15 (optional)
The following estimated fees are paid directly to the vendor and not CSRIPS. Prices should be verified with the vendor.
- Bunker Gear Rental: $1000.00
- Books: $250.00 (information on how to purchase the books will be sent after the registration period closes. Do NOT order books until you receive CSRIPS notification.)
- Fingerprint process (Background check): $47.00
- State Exam Fee: $30.00
2017 - 2018 Firefighter I & II Calendar
- January 8 – 18-01 Full Time Day Class (Registration period begins November 1)
- January 13 – 18-02 Part Time Accelerated Class (Registration period begins November 1)
- April 16 – 18-03 Full Time Day Class (Registration period begins February 16)
- June 2* – 18-04 Part Time Class (Registration period begins February 21)
- June 30 – 18-05 Part Time Accelerated Class (Registration period begins May 8)
- August 6 – 18-06 Full Time Day Class (Registration period begins May 2)
- Entrance PAT is on May 13. This is a separate registration.
- Tuition is due by May 25.
*Date change. Date was previously listed as May 12
Please click here to view a copy of the Online Application to assist you in preparing.